Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Paula Deen, Prop 8 and Getting Fit

I haven't updated my blog in a while, and I have so very much going on. And apparently the world does too :P 

So first off, let me talk about Paula Deen.  I have been hearing something about her being racist and being sued, and saying the "N" word and I was really curious as to what exactly happened. I mean, she's just like the most lovable grandma type person ever.  So I started investigating online and found out that a former employee, who was working at her brother's restaurant, claimed sexual harassment and demanded 1.2 million dollars from them or she would go public.  They refused, and so she sued them for that exact amount. Now she is suing the son because he said it started out at "extortion" on CNN.  It seems to me that this woman appears money hungry.  Paula Deen has been fired by Food Network, and dropped from Smithfield Hams.  Others who sell her products, her magazine, and so on, are saying they will watch the situation closely before making a decision.  One tv network said they will accept her apology and run with it - they have known and worked with her for years.  The cruise line has added a second cruise for 2014 because of a recent overwhelming response to support her.

Personally, I haven't had much dealings with Paula Deen. I see her magazine, I seen occasional glimpses of her on tv. I'm not an avid fan or anything, but I do have and love her cookware.  So far as I can see, people get offended at everything.  And this woman doesn't appear to have followed normal channels for sexual harassment or making complaints but all that is being investigated, as well as the restaurants. Who knows what will happen now. But I personally say, learn what you can for yourself about the matter and make your own decision - but remember - we all say offensive things at some point or another.  I know too many of my elders who still say things that others do not like. It was their culture and their time.  Just remember - if you made such a mistake would you want it dragged out like this? Let Paula Deen make her apology.

I don't have much to say on Prop 8 and DOMA except YAY!  Our country is coming closer to equality.  My simple opinion has always been this: it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you uphold your own moral/religious standards but you should not hold others to them as well.  The country itself must concern itself with what is legal - not what christian or any other religious beliefs are. And no, this country was not founded on religious principles - it was founded for money and glory.  Religious groups just flocked here and trust me, most of them followed beliefs none of you would live with. So, like I said, we need to be concerned with legality and equality! 

And on a final note and my personal rant:

Getting fit and losing weight are two things which concern many, many people for many, many different reasons. I have never ever believed in crash diets of any kind.  If you wish to change your eating habits so that you are eating healthier, or because you no longer have a choice health wise, than that is fine and as I said, healthy!  However, it has always been my belief that starving yourself, just eating way less, or skipping meals is not healthy whatsoever, and science supports this. There are many studies that now say that just dieting may cause you to lose weight but when you gain it back, then you gain back more.  Exercise and toning just seems to me to be the way to lose weight, with the understanding that you aren't eating whole packs of cookies.  There are new studies that are saying that a person who loses weight may face challenges keeping it off no matter what or how they do it.  So here is this fabulous article, "The Fat Trap" that everyone should read.  It is very interesting.

In other news,  I am trying to exercise every day.  I clean, go to the gym for at least an hour, and have been working on toning as well as cardio.  I am trying to watch what I eat and make smarter choices as well.  I haven't really lost any weight yet, but I'm telling myself that the time will come, darn it.  Wish me luck.

Deeogee started eating my dining room floor. I had always planned on replacing it, but now my hand has been forced. I started tearing it up yesterday. Tis no fun.  Hopefully we are just going to be able to paint the floor underneath which is concrete. My kitchen floor also needs replacing but that will certainly have to wait. I want to build some outdoor furniture from pallets but I have to get my hands on some. Then I'm going to get some concrete pavers and slowly begin to build a patio. Next year we are hoping to build on a back porch and screen it in for the animals.  I have too many projects I want to do.  Siding and windows should really happen soon, so wish me luck in that regard.

Laters, peeps.


1 comment:

  1. I am very happy about DOMA being struck down. An important first step for sure. And you're right - crash diets never ever work long-term.

    ReplyDelete